In this class you will:
- Learn the physical aspects of playing a Native American style flute
- Experience playing music from your heart – on your own and along with others.
- Internalize fundamental aspects of musical composition, feeling/hearing/understanding the “ground” note and another important related note.
- Improve listening skills
- Experience moments of calm
- Meditation helps us slow down, allowing an observing mind to be present.
- Observing without evaluating – a very high form of human intelligence and an opening for creativity.
- We spend time deeply experiencing the “ground” and then move from there to other touchstones; creating moments of tension and release.
- Encourage yourself to play when you have the urge/need/desire. Listen for that desire throughout your day: “Toco cuando me pica la mano”
Other advantages of meditation (and most likely, meditative flute-playing)
- exact of opposite of fight/flight response
- breathing slows, blood pressure decreases, stress hormone levels fall
- improved connections in brain
- deep rest in an alert state
- open learning state – child-like, non-judging
- quieting of the mind, we can hear music more fully
Studies have shown the following benefits of regular meditation:
- decreased hypertension and heart disease
- decreased anxiety
- decreased depression
- increased immune system function
- greater ease in giving up or avoiding addictive behaviors
- increased pituitary gland release of growth hormone (anti-aging hormone)
- decreased adrenal gland production of adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol
copyright esalexander 2007